Sunday, September 11, 2011

Losing Direction

Before I moved to Hattiesburg, I had this feeling in my gut that Tupelo was not where I was meant to be. I take my gut feelings very seriously, so I prayed about it and through some very tough analysis of my motivations, I applied for graduate school. Thankfully, I can see now that God had  a purpose in my moving here. I've grown a lot spiritually, met some great people, made some friendships I'm certain will last a life-time, and gained some professional experience.

For a while, I could see myself continuing life in Hattiesburg, working full-time where I intern, devoting more time to my church, all at the very least until my roommate finishes her graduate degree next year. However, I got the gut feeling again....

All of a sudden, a desire I had when I finished my undergrad returned in full force. I could picture myself working for a place with a Gospel purpose, further North, in cooler weather, closer to other friends, but about the same distance from family as I am now.

I feel the call of Nashville.

This is where me simultaneously feeling lost comes in. I graduate in May, and now I don't know what God has planned for me after this. A part of me would be content here, but I also feel the need to wander a bit, experience new people, new places. It comes down to an issue of comfort versus risk... and possibly heartache. I took a risk in January, and it worked out, but I feel like God reveals His plans for me in a way that completely revolutionizes what I perceived His plan to be previously. I need to be in prayer.

God, I want to do Your will. I want a life completely devoted to Your glory, but Lord, sometimes I don't know what that means. I have my own desires, and pray to see them come to fruition, but I know that ultimately it's Your desire for my life that matters. Help me internalize that concept so it becomes as natural a thought as breathing. I ask this all in Jesus' name, as it is not me, but He who lives in me. Amen.
SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment