Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions? Blech.

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I hold this belief for two reasons:

1) You can resolve to do something anytime of the year! Why is the first of the year so special? If you decide in October you want to eat healthier, do it then. Waiting three months will give you no advantage, no special powers, nothing. In fact, you've wasted three months you could have used experimenting with recipes and new foods that would only increase your chances of continuing success in January.

2) New Year's resolutions have a tendency of fizzling out. You say to yourself, "This year, I'm going to work out three times a week!" Well, you miss one a month or so in, and all of a sudden you feel as if your goal's completely shot. Guess what, though! There's a whole 11 months left in the year! You can pick some of those days to work out and move on with your goal! Ta-da!

Though, I don't believe in New Year's resolutions, I'm not without a few changes in the new year. I've started a new Bible reading plan. I've chosen The Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan. I like that the daily readings include both Old and New Testament texts, and I'm not reading several chapters at a time. I think this will help keep me focused on the meaning of the texts and not just completing my required reading for the day. This website has a list of a few others, if you're interested in starting your own plan.

Another thing that's been rolling around my head is training for a marathon. It's something I would love to do. Having that goal would be great for keeping me disciplined with my running and food choices. However, I don't know yet where I would be able to safely run for 20+ miles in Hattiesburg. I'd have to rope some poor soul into being my training partner. So until I get settled in school and work and my new town, marathon training will have to stay in the "possibly" file.

New year, new town, new apartment, new school, new job (hopefully!). So long 2010. It was, uh... eventful. 2011, please be kind.
SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment